I love food as much as the next girl, but over the last year my relationship with it has changed dramatically.
You see, last summer two things happened. I got bit by a tick and contracted lyme disease and my annual blood results showed high insulin levels. UGH!
After some quick research, I determined a diet change was necessary to feel better and to avoid medication.
So 90% of the time I eat a daily diet free of grains, dairy, and refined sugars. The 10% of the time that I don’t is usually because I’m a guest at someone’s house.
And also it’s hard to sever that emotional attachment to food. You know how it is 😉
My 10 favorite foods, currently:
- Frozen berries topped with walnuts – I especially like the cherry/berry blend.
- Dark chocolate chips. A girl needs her chocolate.
- Macintosh or Granny Smith apples. I love tart apples!
- Tacos! I usually eat mine without the shell, over a salad.
- Spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles and meat sauce. It’s a great pasta alternative.
- Lemon & garlic chicken over broccoli rabe.
- Buffalo wings – mild. I like the “hotness” but I can’t handle too hot.
- Italian sausage, both hot & sweet. Yum! But I don’t like the onions & peppers so I just eat them plain or in a pasta sauce.
- Brownie in a mug – yes, please! Last summer I found a recipe for a grain-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free brownie in a mug and it changed my life forever!
- Favorite snacks (grouped together because they are part of the 10%) – Lindy’s italian ice, watermelon rings (gummies), Herr’s sour cream & onion chips (or plain), Good n’ plenty licorice, RUNTS candy.
There ya have it…. my favorite foods right now.
Oh, and you should know that one year later, my blood results are all back to normal… woo hoo! And my joint pains and body aches (lyme disease symptoms) only come around when I binge on that 10% I was talking about.
What’s your favorite food or snack?
This is day 21 of my 31 day blog challenge.